What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Masking" in Camera Raw

shadowcatcher

Hi -

Would someone please tell me what the "Masking" adjustment does within Camera Raw's (I have 4.6) Sharpening section?

With the image at high magnification and moving the slider to extremes, I am not seeing any changes to my image.

Thank you.Picture 30.png

shadowcatcher

I should have kept reading that article before posting. <Apologies> Seems that a mask is a mask is a mask and that, "The black portions of the mask are completely protected and no sharpening will be applied in these areas." Now I know. Thanks all.

RedneckR0nin

Masking in Raw refers to the sharpening effect being blended. It takes a zoomed view to notice the difference to the image with ease. In typical usage of this feature your only adding a minor amount of sharpening and then around halfway point of masking. Overmasking will counter the effect you applied with Sharpening for the most part as the edges are usually what you want to sharpen and the more you mask the more concentrated the mask becomes on the edges of the image! Hope that helps!

shadowcatcher

Thanks for the question and the informative (enlightening, really) replies.

The combination of high magnification, holding alt+slider, while reading Ronin's pithy explanation ( a few times, I admit) made the explanation real.

Thanks for the help everyone!