What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop CS3 - Mockup business cards help please

oodya

Hello all,

I have just downloaded a mockup for a business card. I wasn't aware of this previously, but I can edit the contents of a layer (by double clicking on it - I think it is a smart object) - when I double click on it, the particular layer opens in a new Photoshop window. However, when I edit the contents of the layer and attempt to save it and close it, I would expect the changes to reflect on the main file. However, when saving it, it seems to mess up the original file.

When I double clicked on the front layer and added the number '2' as a test, it shows the attached '2 cards test' example (which I think is not right). I have even converted that particular layer to a smart object with no joy. I have not uploaded the original file at the moment as it is around 30mb.

I am using Photoshop CS3.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.2 cards test.jpg

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
I'm a bit confused here. To edit the content of a layer is edited by simply clicking on it. Why are smart objects entering into this? Are they in the file you downloaded?

Edit: I found and downloaded that file from Behance. I would simplify my life by Rasterizing those Smart Objects (Layer/Rasterize/Smart Object) and just delete them. Add your own content to the layers and you can make the new ones into smart objects if you like (just right click on the and choose smart object option.
Card mock up screenshot.JPG

Last edited:

oodya

Thank you very much for the response (and taking the time to locate and download the file).

I'm really sorry - but I've re-tried using your instructions, but I'm still having the same problem (I'm definitely doing something wrong).

I'm not that great on Photoshop but here's what I tried:

On the main file, I double clicked on the Front layer/Layer/Rasterize/Smart Object - then delete - I then added some sample text - right clicked on it then 'convert to smart object'.

I definitely must be doing something wrong. As this is the first time that I have found out that the mockups can be altered with ease - this will definitely be useful for me once I learn.

Thank you for your patience.

ALB68

Why are you making it into a smart object?
Smart Objects are nice but I find them to be a bit of a PITA. Again, on that layer..up on the command bar at the top, with the layer selected, click Layer/Rasterize/Smart Object. Just delete it after rasterized. Then just open the Text Tool, make the new text. It will create it's own layer. Then manipulate the text manually as to placement size etc. Then later down the road you can make that text layer into a smart object if you want. Do you understand Smart Objects and their purpose?

Thank you very much for the response (and taking the time to locate and download the file).

I'm really sorry - but I've re-tried using your instructions, but I'm still having the same problem (I'm definitely doing something wrong).

I'm not that great on Photoshop but here's what I tried:

On the main file, I double clicked on the Front layer/Layer/Rasterize/Smart Object - then delete - I then added some sample text - right clicked on it then 'convert to smart object'.

I definitely must be doing something wrong. As this is the first time that I have found out that the mockups can be altered with ease - this will definitely be useful for me once I learn.

Thank you for your patience.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This still works as a smart object........

Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 5.36.16 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
oodya, have you tried to download the file again? Or try one of the other mock ups to see if your still having the same problem.

oodya

Hello,

I had a look at the tutorial. I downloaded the template as per the YouTube video. However, when I click on the 'Slanted Card Smart Object' layer, upon making any small change (adding some text) and saving the file, the main file that I leave open in the background changes the orientation and goes out of shape (please see attached 'test3'. I am sure that I am doing something wrong :Stest3.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok, I'm doing the same thing that your doing and it works just fine.

Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 6.14.30 PM.png

Have you tried resetting your Preferences?

It cures a lot of strange behavior in PS.

Start Photoshop and immediately hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows)
or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS X).

Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

oodya

Hello,

I have held on to ALT-CTRL-SHIFT when starting Photoshop and selected 'Yes' when prompted with the 'Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings File', but the problem still persists. I am using CS3 if that makes any difference?

MrToM

Guru
I don't have a problem with it either...

Here's what I am, and I bet IamSam is too, doing...

[video=youtube_share;v6YmOtc8EkI]http://youtu.be/v6YmOtc8EkI[/video]

Are you doing anything different to this?

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yep MrT man, that's what I'm doing.

But oodya, don't get confused. You don't have to do all the steps MrTom shows.........just add the text to a new layer and save.

MrToM

Guru
Yeah.....I only did that to show you can also have layers turned OFF in the PSB file.....and it'll still work OK.

Sorry if it confuses you.

Regards.
MrTom.

oodya

That's exactly what I'm doing as per the video:

1) double click on the 'Front' 'Smart Object Thumbnail' - a dialogue box appears 'After editing the contents, choose File > Save.....' - I click OK
2) A new Photoshop window opens - name is 'Capa 12.psb' - the word 'MOCK UP - FREE' appears in White
3) I click on the 'Horizontal Type Tool' - then single click in the middle of the screen and type some test characters like 'test'
4) Click on 'File' then 'Save' and I can see the original file add the word 'test', but the orientation changes (as per my previous screenshots)

I really do appreciate everyone's time and patience with this. I'm beginning to think it might be a problem with CS3.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Where did you get your version of CS3?

ALB68

I downloaded it also and it worked fine. Question, if your just now learning PS, did you buy a copy of CS3 from someone that might have sold you a let's say..compromised copy?
Hello,

I have held on to ALT-CTRL-SHIFT when starting Photoshop and selected 'Yes' when prompted with the 'Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings File', but the problem still persists. I am using CS3 if that makes any difference?

MrToM

Guru
Right...

I've just blown the dust off my copy of CS3...installed it, and got exactly the same results as..........[drum roll].......

OODYA!

So its not you.....its CS3!

What OS are you using this on.......I tried it in Windows 10 (yes, ten) and as you've said, it screws up.

Leave it with me....I'll see if this is a known problem and if there was ever a solution......it may just be that it doesn't work on later OS versions.

Regards.
MrTom.

ALB68

Hoorah!! Mystery solved :thumbsup:
Right...

I've just blown the dust off my copy of CS3...installed it, and got exactly the same results as..........[drum roll].......

OODYA!

So its not you.....its CS3!

What OS are you using this on.......I tried it in Windows 10 (yes, ten) and as you've said, it screws up.

Leave it with me....I'll see if this is a known problem and if there was ever a solution......it may just be that it doesn't work on later OS versions.

Regards.
MrTom.

MrToM

Guru
OK...

I have found the cause.
I have a solution.

Its not CS3...its the file.

The text in the 'Front' layer is actually a 'placed' AI file. (Placed files can automatically become smart objects)
Whilst this is normally fine the AI file hasn't been included in the zip package.
This means any edits will fail as the AI file cannot be found.
If you create your own 'Text' psd file and 'Place' that into the main PSD file (2 cards.psd) then any future edits will work.

If you want to use the original text then double click 'front' to open that smart object.
Then Double click the 'replace me' smart object.
Save this PSB file as a PSD file in the same folder. (If you use the original name it will be Capa 1.psd)
Back in the '2 cards.psd' file use 'Place...' to embed that new PSD file....(Capa 1.psd)
It will become a smart object if that option is turned on in the preferences.

You'll have to do the 'perspective' transform again but at least from then on you can edit YOUR text file and the 2 Cards.psd should update normally.

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited: