What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop Marquee Tool Snap to Guides - Newbie needs help

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Works for me.

Click on the first horizontal grid line.

Then hold down the SHIFT key each time you click on all the subsequent grid lines.

If you zoom, it will appear as though some of the lines are no longer selected...........but they are.

Be sure and hold the shift key when you add the vertical selections.

PSnewbie92

Not working for me i can select all but line 1, 4,9 . if i select 1 then hold shift and select line 2 line 1 disappears.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
You misunderstood Sam when he said ".... if you zoom". It's actually meant to zoom into the image using the magnifier view tool .

Here's the document at normal (100%) view after clicking the grid lines.... you'll notice I'm missing a few (almost exactly like what you encountered and then some).

Image 1.jpg

But when I "zoom into" a section of the image (Top left corner)..../

Image2.jpg

.... You'll see that the grid lines are selected.

It's a Photoshop display thing. There's nothing wrong with PS but rather it's how it displayed the very thin, 1 pixel selections over the entire image. But it was there all the while....

Photoshop Gurus Tip :
To make creating the selection much easier, make sure you have SNAP enabled (click/press SHIFT+CTRL+; or In MENU>VIEW>Snap). Also ensure that the GRID or other elements in the layout are selected (MENU>VIEW>SNAP TO>Grid). Press SHIFT (to enable adding to selection) and click next to a grid line and slightly drag into place (click and drag). The selection will "SNAP" unto the grid. Sometimes there's no need to drag as it will snap by itself.

MrToM

Guru
LOL...you took the words out of.....well, my post!

I was going to ask if the OP could do just that, zoom in, and provide another screen grab.

If the OP is following that tutorial to the letter I can't see why it doesn't work.
(It should work regardless but...)

Regards.
MrTom.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
LOL...you took the words out of.....well, my post!

I was going to ask if the OP could do just that, zoom in, and provide another screen grab.

If the OP is following that tutorial to the letter I can't see why it doesn't work.
(It should work regardless but...)

Regards.
MrTom.

YESSSSS... I've finally beaten him to the punch.... FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!!

........ HAIIIIIIL CONQUERING HEROOOOO !!!!! .........

:rofl:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Not working for me i can select all but line 1, 4,9 . if i select 1 then hold shift and select line 2 line 1 disappears.

Trust the force, Luke...... trust the application and it's "Force" tools....

Just continue on clicking till you complete what is needed. Then to remove all doubts, select your ZOOM tool and take a closer look......

Better still.... move on to the next step of the tutorial. On the new layer, fill the selection with black and hide the grids.

You'll see your completed "checkerboard" black grid pattern.....

MrToM

Guru
The force is strong in this one! :rofl:

In case anyone is interested this is a common problem when using NSO's...(Non-Scaling objects)....things like, guides, grids, slices, paths, shapes...etc.....anything that doesn't 'scale' when you zoom in on the image.

I DONT BELIEVE IT!

Do you have a camera set up here too!

Unreal!

Regards.
MrTom.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
The force is strong in this one! :rofl:

In case anyone is interested this is a common problem when using NSO's...(Non-Scaling objects)....things like, guides, grids, slices, paths, shapes...etc.....anything that doesn't 'scale' when you zoom in on the image.

I DONT BELIEVE IT!

Do you have a camera set up here too!

Unreal!

Regards.
MrTom.

Sam's already installed cameras all over the place....

I merely hacked them so I can see what's there he sees.....

MrToM

Guru
:popcorn:

ADMIN EDIT..... @MrTom...... Your fart will go stronger eating all that......

Last edited by a moderator: