What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lightroom Problem with background whitening

Mariuxas77

Hi. Long story short, I have this problem with making the background white when the object in background is light in color or also close to white. I'm using adjustment brush in lightroom for this purpose. My background when I take photos is usually grey. So making it white is not a problem. But only when the objects are dark. If they are light in color like I said before, the object also whitens and it becomes very difficult to make the whole background white even with auto-mask on.

Any tips?

Thanks.

gedstar

Guru
Hi and welcome to PSG

I don't use Lightroom so won't be much help in that respect, but it may help if you could post an example image, there are many tools in PS for making selections just depends on the image in question, you could use one tool or a variety of tools as I said it depends on the image

Mariuxas77

Well, if the solution means I have to switch from Lightroom to CS, fine for me. Anyway, here's a perfect example what I mean.

H6kkZix.jpg

eUfNhO5.jpg

These are not my photos but the object is exactly the same. From the looks, the person who edited these pics solved the background whitening problem. The edges look pretty smooth imo. No overlaying which happens to me all the time.

Anyway, since you mentioned that there are many tools for it, could you be so kind and tell me which of those tools would be the fastest? And maybe by some miracle, the fastest method would not mean the decrease in quality? Cause I need to edit huge amounts of photos like these. But obviously don't want the quality to suffer. You catch my drift.

Much appreciate.

Last edited by a moderator:

gedstar

Guru
OK

Here I added a Levels Adjustment layer and moved the black point slider to the right to darken the jeans, this can be disabled after the selection is copied to a new layer, then I made a selection with the Pen Tool

image1.jpg

Another method would be to use the Quick Selection Tool again with the Levels Adjustment layer, although I prefer using the Pen Tool for making such selections

image2.jpg