What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Putting layer with stamp OVER image with only the ink overlaying??

fun76

Hey Guru's

I have a n00b question. I am trying to put a layer (with a stamp print) over a picture. But I only want the black ink from the stamp over the image not the white background the layer itself. Every time I try to do it the white background comes with it and it just doesn't work. I've tried the Magic Wand. The Magic Wand only takes out the white area around and in the stamp itself and this is exactly what I need, but not with the background, except with the stamp. I have no clue how this action is called. if someone is willing to help I will really appreciate it. I have tried to look around the forum but I could not find anything to help me along.

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
There are many ways to do it..... here's one basic way....

If the arrow is on a separate image, double click the flattened image layer to make it a layer of its own. use the magic wand to select the background then hit delete. You may have to adjust the wand's tolerance setting so it will select just the background and nothing else.

Then drag the arrow into the new work document.

Hope this works for you. Like I said, there's other ways but it may depend on the arrow image you have.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Another way, if I understand you correctly, would be to go to select>color> and go to the drop down arrow at the top.Choose highlights, select OK, and you will see the marching ants of this selection. If it removes too much, go to select>refine edge, select black background and increase the edge. See if that works for you. Otherwise maybe you can post an example of what you are trying to do, so those of us with thick heads (I guess I should qualify that: me) can see the deal.

fun76

Thank you! this seems to work just fine. You' ve helped me a lot. Thanks to ibclare for trying to help me too.
There are many ways to do it..... here's one basic way....

If the arrow is on a separate image, double click the flattened image layer to make it a layer of its own. use the magic wand to select the background then hit delete. You may have to adjust the wand's tolerance setting so it will select just the background and nothing else.

Then drag the arrow into the new work document.

Hope this works for you. Like I said, there's other ways but it may depend on the arrow image you have.