What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on drawing in photoshop

Hey guys,

So Im looking make a neon bar sign and was hoping to see if there was an easy way of doing this. I want use the image I attached but want to draw it myself (use the outline) and then figure out how to add the effects. I don't just want to figure out how to take the image. My question is, is there a way to trace the image of the crab and then add the effects of the neon glow? I don't want to take the time to draw it the wrong way and not be able to get the same effect. Any tips guys?

crab-neon-sign.jpg

Thanks!

-Roach

Viewtiful

If the wand selection tool doesn't cut it, I would suggest selecting an RGB channel with the most contrast and making a selection from it - but this more "takes the image", when you were asking for advice on tracing it. But why would you want to trace it over taking a selection, so I don't know if the following guide on channels and selections is what you're after...

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2983...-to-elegantly-remove-backgrounds-from-images/

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
What's your proficiency with Photoshop?

It's quite easy. And depending on what effect or look you like, possibilities are endless.

Start with your drawing. It could be grayscale or black and white scan imported into photoshop. If you know how to use Illustrator, import your image in AI and use live trace.

If you're not familiar with Illustrator and can only use Photoshop, Open your image in PS and trace it on a new layer using the Pentools. This ensures you have the drawing on a layer without a background.

Here's a scanned drawing which I traced in PS. The text was added in PS.

Proshop1.jpg

Next is to invert the colors from black to white and adding a layer filled with black for background.

Proshop2.jpg

From here on, it's a matter of adding a glow or blur effect on a duplicate of the image to simulate neon lighting. You can add reflections on the black background or whatever nuances you'd want to complete the look.

ProshopFinal.jpg

You can also create the neon in any color you wish - single or multiple colors....

Proshp4.jpg

Hope this gives you an idea of what can be done to achieve it.....

Thanks, dv8 fx. I wanted to be able to draw it and not "take it" since I may want to do something of my own and wont be able to find an image I like. Ill give it a shot now.