What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

really notorious noise in my camera?

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
yeah i'm starting to get that little bit miffed with the noise in my camera, even at low ISO
all i get is noise and overexposure when in all honesty i don't think I'm doing anything wrong, the picture on the screen looks perfect but in on the PC i get a big noisy mess.

i think i'd get a bit better ideas from our awfully blunt people down on the photoforum, they seem too kept up with their "ooh look at me I'm rich" DSLRs to really take into mind my little point and shoot and up their own a**es to care about the very little self confidence and pride i have. and their Vbulletin is so annoying!

so anyway noisy shot number 1
101_1714.JPGthat was High ISO so it would be noisier
but that's the worst case.

noisy shot number 2
101_1446.jpg
and it pretty much carries on like that, the ISO was 200 there i think, but even on 80 and 100 it's noisy, post processing doesn't remove it, how can i reduce the noise in my photos, it's only a little kodak Easyshare C713, and before you start saying, i will blame the camera, i've used a a canon camera before and on the same settings the images are noiseless.

Attachments

• 101_1714.JPG
    101_1714.JPG
    327.5 KB · Views: 4

Hoogle

Guru
Not sure specificallly with your style of camera but does this happen with every shot even if yo put the shoot mode into auto on a normal lit day etc. If so then I can only suggest resetting your camera or possibly it is your image sensor that has been damaged

Steve

Retired Administrator
The ISO on both pictures is 800 not 200 according to the EXIF data.
This is an older camera and you will get noise at 800 with an older, small sensor camera.

You should be getting much less noise at a lower ISO but the lowest possible ISO isn't always the best.
Take some test shots in bright shaded light.
Use a gray card or some flat uniform color.
Try to use a middle aperture and a fast shutter speed.

take these shots at all ISO settings and compare the results.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
okay, 800 then, but even ISO 80 and 100 i get noise.

Not sure specificallly with your style of camera but does this happen with every shot even if yo put the shoot mode into auto on a normal lit day etc. If so then I can only suggest resetting your camera or possibly it is your image sensor that has been damaged​
yep, so really the camera is just about to pack in?

@steve thanks for the advice, i'll try and see which ISO speed i should be using.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
done the test and the first instance of noticable noise in daylight settings is ISO 200 it increases as the ISO does.

hawkeye

Guru
You say you're not doing anything wrong and when you use a better camera the pictures are noiseless.

It is the camera. what else could you blame it on? Cheap point and shoot cameras have tiny sensors which are more prone to noise.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
the canon camera was also a point and shoot, there was a time where i used to get Perfect HD images on the kodak but recently it's been a bit of a pain in the backside beginning to think age is setting in.
but i agree, i'm investing in a bridge or a full SLR around january so i don't have log to wait

RedneckR0nin

How old is your camera and how many exposures have you put it through? A camera has a limited amount of times it will go off before the sensor starts to wear. It could also be a iso expansion setting but if it is just regular shots your taking then the advice I have for you is get a new camera!

Shoot a daytime shot at 400 that is the default set up for digital cameras! If you got a lot of noise in your photo even with good lighting then your sensor is done!

Last edited:

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
merci beaucoup ronin, the camera is AT LEAST 2 years old, and has probably been through close to 5000 saved shots in it's life.
like i said, if it can hold out tile january i'll be okay, then i'll have a new one.

i'll try your advice though, thanks

RedneckR0nin

No problem, just shoot at a brown or green predominant shot at average shutter speed if you have control over it. P&S cameras have a inferior sensor as for a dslr besides the obvious detachable lens, the difference in price is about 90% accountable on sensor quality.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
well i've looked at my camera on a good day, and this is one of the shots
116_0459.JPG
seems to be working perfect on ISO 80.

Last edited:

John2

I have seen similar issues on my 30D. I told the wife that I have reached the age to turn off the "IS" and keep my tripod handy.