What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seeking some Christmas Help

RussH

Hello Everyone,

I'm in need of some help. I can assure you that I have been watching many a YouTube tutorials on this, I've tried the Fourier transform plug in for the textured photo paper and patch tools for creases etc, but I just don’t think my skill level is good enough to get this photo as good as possible.

So here is my request, I am planning on doing a framed display of my granddad’s WW2 Medals for my grandmother as a Christmas present. In the display I want to add a photo I have of them both with my granddad in his army uniform. I'd like to have this photo tided up and sharpened (maybe even colorized as well if at all possible). As I mentioned, I have tried, and would have continued trying to do this myself, but with time running short, I wondered if anyone out there could spare a little time to maybe have a go at this for me. I would be forever indebted

Many thanks

Russ

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Russ,
I have done a good many colorizations. There are examples posted here somewhere. I'll try and find you some links. I'll take a look at your project and see what is needed if you like. Can you post the photo?

RussH

ALB68,

Thank you so much, I would be hugely hugely grateful

Will put up a picture now

RussH

I couldnt seem to get the photo to attach to the message, so had to upload it to the following file host to download

Let me know if you recieve it

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve

Retired Administrator
I couldnt seem to get the photo to attach to the message, so had to upload it to the following file host to download

Let me know if you recieve it
We really don't like to link to photos a sites like this, our members never know what they're going to download.

It's easy enough to post a photo here.
Use this button and follow the prompts.
ImageUploadIcon.jpg

ALB68

is there a size limit on that attach option?

How big is it? Go ahead and upload it. Should be OK if not huge.

Last edited:

ALB68

Oh goodness, it's printed on textured paper. That is hard to deal with. Do you mind the texture? You just want it cleaned up, restored and colorized ? Is it in the finished size you want?

RussH

Hi ALB68,

Yeah, I tried that Fourier Transfer Plug in that helped with removing some of the texture, but you do comprimise some of the sharpness, and I didnt know how to clean up to bring back some of the sharpness.

I dont mind the texture to much, but any improvement would be a big help as it will help clarity when its in the frame next to the medals.

I might want to increase the size slightly, but not by anything excessive (original photo is about 57mm wide by 72mm high, I guess I would ideally like about 65mm wide)

ALB68

Yes, the texture is somewhat problematic. I have done some that had it with moderate success. I will do my best for you. I have already done a levels adjustment on it and edited out that break. Looking better already. We will see what happens. This may turn into a contest with others working on it too, so you can choose the best one if others jump in.

RussH

I really am indebted to you, thank you so so much, this is going to make it really special, thank you

MrToM

Guru
If its any help Larry, content aware fill works pretty good ...this took about 5 mins...

Nan-&-Grandad-Photo_MT_A_02.png

It may help to get a good starting point?

It aligns the texture very well.
I can send you this if you want it to start with.

Regards.
MrTom.

ALB68

Thanks MrTom.

ALB68

Russ,
What color is the uniform and the ribbons on his chest?

ALB68

OK. Here is a screenshot of progress. I can do the uniform and ribbons when you give me the colors.
scrnshot restore.PNG

RussH

This looks incredible, thank you

I have found some images of uniforms below for color reference. The badge is proving a little more difficult, but let me keep searching

Huge huge thanks

atonement_movie_image_james_mcavoy.jpg

HK_Army_1_120507_09E.jpg

pd2827924.jpg