What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Cut Up a Long Image and Resize the Chunks

mrMaripol

Hi -

I have a very long image that needs to be cut into individual frames of varying sizes. Those sizes all need to be batch resized to 1080p. If I "Cut Via Layer", the entire canvas is included in my cut. I need to create simple JPG files of those cuts, at their respective sizes, to be resized later.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
MM

Tom Mann

Guru
There are a lot of different ways this can be done, but here's my first suggestion: Folks who make web pages are faced with almost the same problem on a daily basis, and Adobe has come up with the "Slice" tool to help them out:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/slicing-web-pages.html

For more info on the slice tool, including videos, just Google {photoshop slice tool tutorial}.

With respect to re-sizing, one very simple option, but which only is useful in some situations, is to set up the slice tool in "fixed size" mode so that all slices start out life exactly 1080 px wide or tall. However, if you have to slice up the image on the basis of content, not size, you just use the conventional methods to resize an image, remembering, of course, that detail is lost in all resizing operations and it's much worse to up-rez than to down-rez.

HTH,

Tom M

mrMaripol

H iTom-

Thanks for the suggestion - I've been trying to figure out how to do this with slices, but I think CS6 might be a problem. I've selected the slice but it seems that I'm unable to "Save for Web" or put the selected slice on an individual layer. Do you think you could clarify that part of this process?

Tom Mann

Guru
I'm not trying to get out of work, but there are *A LOT* of nice explanations already available on this topic, most of them written much better than I could possibly do in a small forum post. For example, why don't you look at the "Save for Web" section of this page:
http://www.creativebloq.com/adobe/image-slicing-photoshop-61412081

...and, if following the directions therein doesn't help, write up exactly what you are doing and have tried, and I'll jump back in and try to sort things out.

Cheers,

Tom M

mrMaripol

Well, the issue seems to be that Photoshop CS6 can't deal with a file that has a 300,000 pixel Height when it comes to "Save for Web." It simply "greys" out the option. I can break up the file into smaller subsections, but I'm curious if there are any efficient alternatives to the "Slice" method.

Essentially, I'm taking a sheet of still images to make a frame-by-frame motion animation. The frames are slightly different sizes, so they need to be cut by hand.

Tom Mann

Guru
Ahhh ... 300,000 pixels in one dimension is an extraordinarily large image, especially when one considers that the longest pixel dimension of images produced by the largest large format digital scanning backs are around 30kpx, and most are much smaller than this.

Also, as I recall, the 300k px limit applies to PS, in general, not just it's "Save for web" command. In addition, the computer memory and processing speed resources needed to process such images will be equally demanding. Also, since you have said that the images are all slightly different in size, have you considered exactly how you are going to register all the images once they are cut apart, and the time this will take?

All of the above causes me to wonder if there might be some changes that could be made to your overall workflow to improve this process. Specifically, exactly how do all of the component images wind up on this one, presumably flattened PS file?

Tom M

hawkeye

Guru
I'm curious too about your workflow that resulted in a pixel dimension of 300,000.

mrMaripol

Haha - I would be curious about that also, but sadly, I am a little bit lower on the food chain in this task. The file was delivered to me in this format and I was told to retro-engineer.

The instructions do stipulate that resizing the images could be done in a batch process without an overall concern for the aspect-ration distortion - which is a mild consolation.

It seems that even halving the image to 150,000 pixels is still too large for "Save for Web", so it might just be a copy-and-paster.

Tom Mann

Guru
FWIW, my PS machine has 64 Gig of RAM and bunch of fast SSDs, and even at 150,000 x 150,000 pixels, it has trouble with even simple tools such as a proportionally large paintbrush or multiple layers.

BTW, when I was referring to "registration", I didn't mean aspect ratio changes, but the center of the image jumping around from frame to frame in your animation.

Good luck to you!

Tom M

CPR

I would use the rectangular selection tool to select a portion, then hit Control C then Control N and Enter to accept the new file size then just hit Control V.