What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unable to create mirroring glasses effect

datune

Hello,

I am trying to recreate the effect seen on the purple glasses (mirror effect), but for the life of me, my usual approach of flipping vertically, cutting, moving and masking does not work. Can someone please help me out and point me in the right direction? Thanks!
125900_seen.png
125900.png

Attachments

• 125900.png
    125900.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 26

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

As you have discovered, this is not an easy task. In fact, you would almost never get it to look right.

You could cheat it with some other objects, but the eyeglasses will be problematic.

https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...94-how-make-reflection-complex-picture-2.html

https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...help-needed.html?highlight=flipped+box,+RKBox

I would much rather photograph my own references for this type of effect. If I did not have a reflective surface, I would just photograph the glasses on a table right side up, and then again upside down (in the same position). Then I would marry the two images in Ps.

Maybe one of our other members will have a solution.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Can't help thinking this whenever I see 'phlearn' mentioned, he's good but this just pops right into my head every time...

"Have you any idea how much that stings?"

df2679187648818.jpg.png

Sorry its off topic...couldn't help it.

Regards.
MrToM.

Phlearn makes it too easy. His video has just vertical coke boxes.
But the OP's glasses are photographed in a certain perspective with an angle.

That means you have to put the glasses and each of the earpieces on a separate layer to create a shadow.

Let's start with some screenshots.

Bildschirmfoto 2015-05-25 um 19.14.53.png
1. Make a duplicate of the original image on a new layer.

Bildschirmfoto 2015-05-25 um 19.12.49.png
2. Rotate this layer and align the bottom of there glass horizontally.

Bildschirmfoto 2015-05-25 um 18.51.33.png
3. Duplicate this layer and flip it vertically.

Bildschirmfoto 2015-05-25 um 19.06.05.png
4. This layer you have to divide in 3 separate layers. One for the glasses and one for left earpiece and one for the right earpiece.
You now have to rotate and distort both earpieces like in the screenshot. (on the glasses layer paint of the earpieces on the layer mask).

Bildschirmfoto 2015-05-25 um 19.39.00.png
5. Join the 3 layers back to one layer. Desaturate the color completely, and soften it with gaussian blur.
Reduce the opacity and paint on the layer mask to achieve the desired light shadow.

6.Last step: Flatten the layers and rotate the image back to it's original angle.
This is the final image.
125900 chrisdesign.jpg

Bildschirmfoto 2015-05-25 um 19.48.27.png

datune

Thank you very much for sharing, really awesome! Truly, much appreciated! Have a nice day, you certainly made mine!