What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have been meaning to start this thread for some time now, but have just fallen behind. My day job is keeping me very busy lately. Since the subject has been brought up by revnart, I thought now would be as good a time as any to get it started.

Anyway, this is for everyone to participate in and if it's not too much trouble, I ask that you at least try to give a brief description of your workflow. This will help other members learn how the process works.

The task is simple............colorize the photo. Good luck.

2926-750x858.jpg

On another note, if anyone else is interested in posting another photo to colorize, please make a new thread with the same or similar title......like Colorize Me! Photo 2.

colleague

Guru
I'll give it a try

and PSD https://www.dropbox.com/s/g6bx8rl8e2ph13c/co1.psd?dl=0

I start with levels because I want a lighter picture to start with
each color on a new layer and play with the blending modes
adjust each color after choosing the best mode for the layer
I did the shirt with gradiënt

at the end I made the result in a smart object
and played with the free nik-filters plugin

Attachments

• co1.jpg
    co1.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 12
Sorry, I forgot the workflow.

This is done old school-style.

1 layer Original Image
1 layer Hair with layer mask
1 layer for Face and Arm with layer mask
1 layer for Shirt with layer mask
1 layer for Lips with layer mask
1 layer for Eyes and Glamour Make up with layer mask (Blendmode Color, Opacity 60%)
1 layer for Eyelashes ( Blendmode multiply, Opacity 36%)
1 layer Dodge and Burn

On every layer I adjusted the color in the channels with the curves tool. Additionally I used Selective color correction.

Bildschirmfoto 2016-07-19 um 19.16.14.png

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Excellent work Chris! Thanks!

I really like the coloring of the shirt/blouse.

Argos

Guru
Well first of all... sorry for the dreadful selection i really didn't have the mood to make it right so i use hand pulse and magic wand XD. The same with the shirt not really interested on it.

Seeing that people already had done an amazing work, I went for something different :cheesygrin:.

2926-750x8585.jpg

Edit: Too exagerated and noisy (fixed)

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Very interesting Argos. Definitely different.

What's a hand pulse?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's my take on it.

ColorMe_1_01.jpg

1. I started by adding a levels adjustment to brighten the image.
2. I then added a Color Fill adjustment layer to tint the background. I used a layer mask created with the Brush Tool to isolate it from the subject. I set this layer to 'color' blending mode.
3. I tried 2 different methods for the hair, the first was a Color Fill adjustment layer but I settled on a Hue & Saturation layer set to color blending mode. I of course used a layer mask created with the Brush Tool to isolate the hair.
4. The shirt was a challenge. I again tried 2 different methods. The first was a gradient map, but I didn't care much for the results. I ended up using another Color Fill adjustment layer set to Pin Light blending mode. I used channel masking to create the layer mask for the shirt layer.
5. The skin was yet another Color Fill adjustment layer set to Soft Light blending mode. Used the Brush Tool to create it's layer mask.
6. Lips was a Hue & Saturation layer. Used the Brush Tool to create it's layer mask.
7. Eye color was just the Brush Tool. I set the layer to Color blending mode.
8. Eye make-up color was a big soft bush with the Brush Tool. I set this layers blending mode to Color.

I think that was all……………

Last edited:

Argos

Guru
I made a few fast changes it was too noisy and exagerate,

hand pulse = i made selections with the lasso tool or painting, my pulse is **** XD

Cheers!

Argos

Guru
Nice job Sam, defenitly better green and white than two green on the shirt hahaha, i think the hair have two spots with skin color on it.

Cheers!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great work Ged, I like the rosy cheeks. I had thought about that and forgot to add it in mine. I was also going to bring out the highlight in her face and forgot that as well. It was late.........that's my excuse anyway!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not there anymore, have you change the picture in your last edit?
Argos When I uploaded the original thread along with an image, I did indeed upload the wrong output .jpg. But I noticed the problem and changed it before I published the post. I did not have my description ready at that time and adding it was the only edit I've made to the post since it was originally published. I don't know how it happened but somehow you saw the original .jpg. So your observation of the first image were correct! The image manager has been acting a bit wonky lately.